Alterations and Refurbishment
During the months of September and October 2007 a number of alterations were made to the interior of the church, along with some refurbishment. These are the first major changes to be made since the extensive renovations of 1904.
As can be seen from the plans, a total of 16 pews have been removed. Two of these have been transferred to the gallery, the others were bought by members of the congregation. By constructing a soundproofed wall beneath the front of the gallery, this area has been made into a meeting room for the use of the Kirk Session and the organisations. The organ has been turned round to face the window, allowing the organist to easier see the congregation. The remaining area in front of the chancel is occupied by loose chairs, providing a flexible space at the front of the church.
The entire floor area has been carpeted, while the heating and lighting have been totally overhauled, improving the comfort and ambience of the building, while still retaining it's character. The work was completed on time and below budget.
The photographs below illustrate these alterations and improvements. They show how the new lighting has enhanced the interior. Members have commented very favourably on the result, including many who were sceptical at the outset.
The Church was rededicated on Sunday 2nd December by Rev Alison Meikle, Moderator of the Presbytery of Lanark.